Monday, November 1, 2021

Nest Box Updates

We do the deep litter method, where I do a deep cleanout every 4 months or so. As part of this endeavor, I finally fixed up a modular nest box that I pulled out this summer. An egg broke and made a mess. I had to remove the plywood underneath. 

This round, I sanded and painted the nest box, hoping that it'll make clean up a little better next time. As for the bottom, I put cardboard lined with packaging tape for a bit of lasting effect. Cardboard for now. I don't have an ideal area for cutting sheets of plywood. It's laying down 2x4's and cutting over them with a lot of bending. I will eventually do that so I can have bottoms of the nest box lined with tile. But for now, since I'm already bending when I clean out the coop...stapled cardboard!

Now to replace the other solo nest box so that can have some maintenance, then scrape and sand the coop perches, and shovel out the litter.

The last clean out, I put the litter in boxes to burn. I'm still going through batches to burn. This clean out of litter will go into a raised garden bed for overwintering and composting. Hoping to have some good stuff to use in the garden for next season.

The paint color theme? It's one that I'm considering for the main house. So far, I'm liking how things are going with the paint.



#nestboxes #maintenance #deeplittermethod

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using Those Ole Chicken Feed Bags!

Main food for the Hen Owners is 25lb bag of Kalmbach Organic layer pellets. I have this on a subscription from Chewy.com to ensure that we d...