Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Deep Litter Method: After 4 Months

The coop roosting area is about 4x4, though the coop is 4x8 and 4'-5.5' high. We did put down vinyl flooring 1' high to accommodate a deep litter method. While I had heard that this method provides some insulation to the coop and to the residents, I really got to see the difference these past 2 weeks in May.

On May 2nd, I did a full scoop out of the litter and scraped the perches. The litter filled up 4 Hello Fresh boxes, which I'll burn or compost later. It did take me about 3 hours. I had hoped to do a full cleaning of the coop, but was rather exhausted just doing the scoop out.

Learnings:

It was kind of tricky getting started. Really, where do you start? There's about 9" of litter and poop and then the perches.

  • Start with a kitty litter scooper. Easy to manage to make a controlled start.
  • I made a screen scooper, once I cleared an area with the kitty litter scooper, it went a little better.
  • The litter has a mix of dirt. I wanted to keep sifted dirt in the coop. So I wanted to keep sifting.
  • I had to break for nestbox laying.
So that was the process. Here's why I'm sold on this method!
  1. No smell. The only issue I had being in the coop was kicking up dust, so I covered my face with a bandana.
  2. We have roughly a 3 floor coop, the bedding offers a soft floor because even with ramps, they usually like to shortcut their way.
  3. It really does provide insulation, with the poop. After I scooped out 9" of litter, I replaced it with about 4" of clean pine shavings. The night temperatures dropped from being 5F warmer than outside to being the same inside.
  4. And when the temps did drop below 0 this past winter, the low didn't go below 0 in the coop. Making the delta greater than 5F at times.
  5. Weekly maintenance was minimal, great in the winter when you really don't want that kind of chore in winter weather.
I didn't get before pictures, will try next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Using Those Ole Chicken Feed Bags!

Main food for the Hen Owners is 25lb bag of Kalmbach Organic layer pellets. I have this on a subscription from Chewy.com to ensure that we d...